About

I write partially-developed and unpolished thoughts about God here.

I include more about my life here: mattandcarlycross.blogspot.com

Wednesday, August 15, 2012

TV

Over the last few days, I've been turning on episodes of 7th Heaven that are airing as I unpack our house. It's been really fun to rewatch the show; I use to watch it quite religiously when I was growing up. Something that I didn't notice before is how much they talk about God without talking about Jesus. In fact, he's never mentioned. Forgiveness, faith and spiritually are frequent plot lines, but they don't ever talk about Jesus, the cross or the resurrection.

Early on in the week, I was flipping through the channels with Matt after a long day of moving. We came across "So You Think You Can Dance" and I talked him into watching until the next commercial break. Right as we were watching, one of the contestants was being voted off. Before he walked off stage, he grabbed the microphone from the host and proclaimed "I just want to thank my Lord and Savior, Jesus Christ, thank you and have a good night!"

I read this verse a few mornings ago and it has stuck with me:

"For here we have no lasting city, but we seek the city that is to come. Through him, then, let us continually offer up a sacrifice of praise to God, that is, the fruit of lips that acknowledge his name. Do not neglect to do good and to share what you have, for such sacrifices are pleasing to God." Hebrews 13:14-16

I hope to have lips that acknowledge the name of Jesus. 

1 comment:

  1. It's interesting that when I get a change to say "God" or "Jesus" I often find myself saying "God" instead because it feels cheesy to say Jesus. Why? I have no idea. Maybe it's because of the whole WWJD movement or the I <3 Jesus bumper stickers that make it cheesy. I didn't realize I felt that way until a week ago at a luncheon. Thanks for the challenge.

    ReplyDelete