About

I write partially-developed and unpolished thoughts about God here.

I include more about my life here: mattandcarlycross.blogspot.com

Sunday, May 6, 2012

Heaven

When I imagine heaven, I imagine white, upper class adults worshiping God freely and eternally. My Americanized and unintentionally arrogant mind doesn't picture believers of all ages, sizes, races or demographics.

I think of the doctors, classmates, friends, teachers or family members in my life that I know will be there one day. I don't think of the orphaned children my sister ministers to in Kenya. I don't think of the marginalized people of Ventura county picking strawberries in the field. I don't think of the people in Muslim countries losing their lives for choosing the gospel. I just don't.

But today, singing and praising God outside the Rescue Mission in Oxnard, California with the members of "Church in the Alley", my image of heaven expanded. The people I was surrounded by, some homeless, some not, have experienced God's love so differently than I have. They know God's provision more intimately, ironically. It doesn't matter what I imagine heaven to be like. The forgotten, the marginalized and the suffering "are blessed, for theirs is the kingdom of heaven".

My life revolves around a God who favors the poor in spirit, and is unimaginably gracious with me when I don't.

1 comment:

  1. Mmmmm how true. I read about heaven in my theology class last week and had a similar thought. I think of heaven as something I could color in a coloring-book (gold streets, silver clouds, old people worshiping, angels, etc.)It's a great reminder that heaven is a lot more detailed than we can even picture. It's way more majestic and the people there will be from all over the world thanks to the Good News being spread. Paul says when he reached the third heaven that he couldn't even describe it in human words.... :)))

    ReplyDelete