About

I write partially-developed and unpolished thoughts about God here.

I include more about my life here: mattandcarlycross.blogspot.com

Tuesday, January 17, 2012

I can't believe I referenced that.

I'm reading through Galatians this week and only made it a few verses in when I was stopped by a particularly compelling verse.

Galatians 1:8 "But even if we, or an angel from heaven, should preach to you a gospel contrary to the one we preached to you, let him be accursed."

The other times I have come across this verse, my mind immediately thinks of the Mormon church. This is what their faith is based on; an angel coming down and sharing an additional gospel to man. If it offends you that my mind makes that connection, you can read more about their beliefs on mormon.org. (Or watch the South Park episode that makes a less reliable, yet highly entertaining and informative song on Mormon beliefs. If that offends you, you are justified. It's South Park.)

But this time, I felt a more personal conviction from the verse. I noted that Paul writes "but even if we" in his warning. Who's we? Maybe pastors. Probably mentors. People with spiritual authority in my life. Even if they proclaim a gospel that contradicts Scripture or adds on to it, let them be accursed. This got me thinking.

Do I filter everything my pastors say through the word of God?
And not just the belief statement typed up on the website, but what they preach. How they live their life. What they proclaim, how they describe gospel-centrality. If they lead their church like Jesus led his people. Or even the things I want to hear about myself. Whether it's fine if I do this or that. Go here or there.


Paul is wise (shocking, right?) to encourage his churches to believe in God, not him. This verse is a great reminder for me to take heed and listen for spiritual leaders to say things like "these are God's words, not mine" or "check your Bible if you disagree". The greatest and most Biblical leaders in my life have been the ones who are constantly discrediting themselves.


And lastly, this verse in Galatians calls me to know the gospel in order to determine what's authentic.

No comments:

Post a Comment