About

I write partially-developed and unpolished thoughts about God here.

I include more about my life here: mattandcarlycross.blogspot.com

Wednesday, October 26, 2011

Hats off to moms.

I've been working as a nanny for around 6 months. It is surely an adventure and may or may not end in me writing an additional blog about the irrational behavior of two year olds.


The more I am around these children, the more I learn about God, sin nature and the mental stability of preschool teachers & single mothers. A specific incident comes to mind.


I was eying the two year old from across the room as I changed the baby's diaper. I waited for her to change her mind about taking the thermometer off the coffee table. She slyly looked over her shoulder as her fingers grasped around it.

"Put that back please."

She runs upstairs. Only a few minutes pass before I am in a familiar, parental pose. Kneeling, eyebrows high, hand flat, sticking out in front of me. "Please hand that to me. Hand that to me. Will you please give me that? One...two...."

And of course, I want nothing to do with that slobbery thing. It has been on the floor multiple times this morning, not to mention the mouth of a barfing baby, it's got something on the corner that I can't identity and is currently in the hands of a child whose hands are always sticky with God knows what. And of course, I could just grab it from her. She rarely outruns me and I'm (usually) stronger than her. When she does get something in her hands that I consider dangerous or threatening, I just grab it from her and skip the obedience lesson. I don't want the thermometer, I want her to want to give it back to me. I want her to listen to me.

We often withhold things from God. Things that are already his, that he created or designed or gave us. He doesn't actually want what we have gripped in our hand, he could just take it from us in an instant. He wants us to listen to him, to trust him and to want to hand it over. And sometimes if it's dangerous or keeping us from him, he just takes it. Or maybe not, I have no idea.


Just a thought.

No comments:

Post a Comment